Error 0x800705aa is a code that appears when an automatic Windows update or upgrade assistant in Windows 11 or 10 fails to install an update. This error code can appear in both build (feature) and cumulative (patch) Windows updates.
This problem could be caused by a number of factors, including the ones listed below:
- Error 0x800705aa can occur as a result of corrupted Windows Update components and system files, insufficient hard drive space, or incorrect time settings.
- If Windows is unable to install updates, you may need to repair or reset the Windows Update components.
- Correcting the time and date settings may resolve the error 0x800705aa quickly.
- Both Windows 11 and 10 include built-in tools and troubleshooters that may be able to permanently resolve this issue.
Now that we’ve determined what’s causing the 0x800705aa error code, let’s look at some troubleshooting techniques to resolve the problem.
Step 1# Adjust the Date and Time
Microsoft’s operating systems are updated in accordance with DST and TZ. If your computer’s date, time, and time zone are incorrect, you may encounter problems installing the most recent updates.
Here’s how to change the date and time on your computer:
1. Right-click the taskbar clock and select Adjust date and time from the context menu.
2. Turn on the Set time automatically option if it is deactivated.
3. Then, to enable the option, click Set the time zone automatically.
4. After that, close the Settings window and check to see if the 0x800705aa error has been resolved.
Step 2# Run Windows Update Troubleshooter
If you get an error code of 0x800705aa, you should also run the Windows update troubleshooter. Windows comes with a number of tools to help you diagnose various problems. The Windows Update troubleshooter is one of these tools, and it’s designed to help you fix problems with updates.
As a result, you can run the update troubleshooter to see if it can locate and resolve the issue. To do so, follow the instructions below:
1. To open Windows Settings, press the Windows + I buttons on your keyboard at the same time.
2. Scroll to the bottom of the System tab and select Troubleshoot.
3. Next, select Other troubleshooters from the Troubleshoot menu in the Troubleshoot screen.
4. You should now see a list of troubleshooters to choose from. Locate the Windows Update troubleshooter and press the Run button.
Step 3# Reset Windows Update Components
When Windows updates your computer, it does it through a number of different services. If any of these components responsible for upgrading your system fails to function properly, the updates will not be installed, resulting in issues such as the 0x800705aa error code.
You’ll need to reset your system update components to fix the problem. This will restore the update elements to their original, error-free state, effectively addressing the problem.
Here’s what you should do:
1. In the search field, type cmd and then select Run as administrator to open Command Prompt with administrative privileges.
2. Now, input the commands listed below and press Enter after each one to run them.
3. Once that’s done, run the following instructions one at a time:
4. Finally, restart your computer to see if the problem has been solved.
Step 4# Run SFC and DISM Scans
If the Windows Store troubleshooter does not resolve the problem, try performing the SFC and DISM commands. Both are built-in utilities that can help you fix issues like the one you’re having.
PRO TIP: If the issue is with your computer or a laptop/notebook you should try using Restoro Repair which can scan the repositories and replace corrupt and missing files. This works in most cases, where the issue originated due to system corruption.
The SFC and DISM utilities can usually fix most file corruption issues, which is why we recommend giving them a try. Hopefully, it will address the problem quickly.
Follow the guidelines below to resolve the issue with the help of SFC scan & DISM Utilities.
You can also utilise the built-in Windows programmes DISM and SFC to repair faulty system files and restore missing system data.
1. In the taskbar, click the search icon and type CMD.
2. To start Command Prompt as administrator, right-click the search result Command Prompt and select Run as administrator.
3. To proceed, click the Yes button if the User Account Control page appears.
4. In Command Prompt, copy and paste the following commands, pressing Enter after each one:
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth.
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
5. Be patient and wait for the process to complete.
6. In Command Prompt, type sfc /scannow and click Enter.
7. Wait until the verification is completed in its entirety.
8. Turn off and then turn on your computer after few moments.
After completing these procedures, go to Windows Update and check for updates again to determine if the system can be updated successfully. If the problem remains, move on to the next step.
Step 5# Free Up Drive Space
You won’t be able to install the newest updates if your computer’s hard disc is insufficiently large. If this is the case, clearing up disc space may be able to help you fix the error code 0x800705aa on Windows 11.
Essentially, when you free up disc space on your hard drive, you get rid of unnecessary files and data pieces. This improves the performance of your computer and allows you to install more programmes and updates without difficulty.
To free up drive space on Windows 11, follow these steps:
1. In the search area of your taskbar, type Disk Clean-up and click Open.
2. Under the Files to delete option, pick the files you want to delete.
3. To confirm, hit OK and then click the Delete Files option.
4. You can also select the Clean up system files button in the same window to clear more space.
Step6# Install the Updates Manually
Another option for resolving the problem is to manually install the offending update. Any update that is causing you problems can be manually downloaded and installed from the update catalogue.
This is essentially a workaround for the problem code rather than a troubleshooting solution.
1. Go to the Microsoft Update Catalog with your browser open.
2. In the search field on your screen, type the required update name and press Enter.
3.Now, depending upon your device type, install the update by clicking on the Download button.
4. After you’ve downloaded the file, run it and follow the instructions to complete the installation. This will help you bypass the error 0x800705aa.
If none of the above methods have worked, we recommend utilising Restoro Repair Tool, which can scan repositories and repair corrupt and missing data. This works in the vast majority of cases where the problem is caused by a system flaw. Restoro will also maximise the performance of your system.