With Windows 11, Microsoft offered a slew of new updates and feature enhancements aimed at making Windows even better than before. One of these enhancements was a revamped centered search bar that was more thorough and speedier.
You may notice that you can’t type in the search box if you recently switched from Windows 10 to Windows 11. Unfortunately, this is a widespread problem, and there is no unique reason for the typing restriction. But don’t be concerned. We’ve outlined a few options for resolving this problem so you can get the Windows Search bar back up and running in no time.
However, with the newest updates, several users claimed that the new Windows 11 search had ceased working.
How to Fix Can’t find what you’re looking for in the Windows 11 Search Bar? Because they can’t click on the search box to start typing, many Windows 11 users can’t text in the File Explorer search bar or Cortana’s search bar on the taskbar. Windows is unable to input in the search field.
In this article we have described 5 methods of resolving the search bar issue in windows 11.
Why did the Windows 11 search bar stop Working?
Because Windows 11 is still in its early phases, it has a few problems, such as a problem with the search menu. Since Microsoft rebuilt the search menu from the ground up in Windows 11, it occasionally fails to function properly. Having said that, using the methods mentioned in this piece, you should be able to easily address the issue.
This guide will show you how to solve the problem of “Cannot type-search in Search Bar” on Windows 11.
How to Resolve Cannot Click to Type in the Windows 11 Search Bar?
1. Install all available Windows Updates. To do so, navigate to Settings-> Update and security and then click “check for Updates”.
2. If you can’t type in the search bar after installing an update, uninstall it. Go to Settings > Update & Security > View Update History > “Uninstall Update”
3. Manually download and install the update if you have Windows 11.
5 Ways to Fix Cannot Type in Windows 11 Search Bar.
5 Ways to Fix Cannot Type in Windows 11 Search Bar
If you are having the same issue, continue reading to learn how to fix the Windows 11 search bar not working.
Here is a list of 5 solutions for Cannot type in Windows 11 Search Bar.
Method #1: Relaunch Windows Explorer and Cortana.
1. Launch the Task Manager by pressing CTRL+SHIFT+ESC.
2. On the Processes tab, select the Windows Explorer process and click Restart.
3. Select End Task from the context menu of the Search process.
4. Enter something into the search bar now.
Method # 2: Run the Windows Search Troubleshooter.
Like Windows 10, Windows 11 includes a troubleshooting tool that allows you to automatically repair certain system functions. You can, for example, use this tool to resolve a problem with Windows Search. Take the following actions:
- Access Settings, press the Win + I keys.
- Click Troubleshoot under Systems.
- Tap “Other troubleshooters” from the Troubleshoot page.
- Look for “Search and Indexing” and press the “Run” button next to it.
- Select the issues you’re having with the search function from the dialogue box, then click “Next”. The troubleshooting tool will investigate the root cause of the Windows Search issue and provide solutions. Follow the recommended solution and check to see if the problem persists.
Also Read: How To Generate Battery Report In Windows 11
Method #3: Use DISM and SFS tools to repair Windows corruption errors.
1. Open a command prompt as administrator. To initiate this step:
• To open the ‘Run’ command box, press the Windows image + R keys at the same time.
- To open an elevated command prompt, type CMD followed by CTRL+SHIFT+ ENTER.
2. Type the following command into the command prompt window:
• Dism.exe /Online /Image Cleanup /Restorehealth
3. Wait for DISM to repair the component store. When the operation is complete (you should be notified that the component store corruption has been repaired), type and press Enter the following command:
4. Once the SFC scan is complete, restart your computer.
Method#4 Run Ctf Loader(ctfmon.exe)
The ctfmon.exe process aids in alternative writing methods. As a result, if an error occurs, it may prevent you from typing in the search bar.
- To resolve this, press “Win + R” and then type the following:
You may need to modify the command to change the “C:” part to whatever drive you are currently using.
If this works, you’ll need to run the command every time you restart your computer to restore the search bar. As a result, resetting your PC may be worthwhile to avoid the hassle of running this command every time.
Method#5 Reset Your PC
If all else fails, your last resort is to restart your computer. This restores your system’s functionality to its original state, removing any modifications.
This may appear to be a daunting solution, particularly if you have important files on your computer. But don’t worry, there is a way to keep your files. Apps and custom settings, on the other hand, will be removed. To reset your computer, follow the steps below:
- Open Settings by pressing Win + I.
- Then select System > Recovery.
- Click the Reset PC button next to the Reset this PC option under Recovery options.
- Then, you can choose whether you want to keep your files or remove everything.
5. Follow the instructions and wait for the process to finish. After the procedure, your search feature should function properly.
Windows Search Typing Problem, Fixed:
Problems with the search feature in Windows 11 might be extremely inconvenient. Rather than discovering what you’re looking for right away, you’ll have to search through all of your files and folders. Fortunately, there are troubleshooting actions you can do to resolve this issue. If you think Windows Search isn’t enough, you can use third-party programmes to do a more thorough search.
You should be able to fix the search issue on your Windows 11 PC and start using the brand-new UI and features if you follow any of the troubleshooting methods outlined above.
If you found this post helpful and were able to resolve the Windows 11 search not functioning issue, please let us know in the comments section below.