Today, in this guide, We are going to show you how to clean install Windows 11 from a USB flash drive in 2022. Also covered is how to format and reinstall Windows 11 on your PC or laptop.
What exactly is a clean installation?
A clean installation of Windows 11 consists of removing all data from the computer’s hard drive and installing a fresh copy of the operating system to set up. It’s similar to getting a new laptop or desktop computer.
In this guide, we will walk you through every step of installing Windows 11 for the first time. Whether you’re installing a new computer or upgrading from Windows 10 to Windows 11, we’ve got you covered.
So let’s Begin.
Step-1 First and foremost, create a backup.
Before performing a clean OS installation, always make a backup of your entire device. Unless you want to keep nothing important. You can use onedrive or another cloud storage service to back up small files such as documents, pictures, and other important files.
And, if you have a large number of files, transferring to such cloud will be costly and time-consuming. If this is the case, the best alternative would be to copy the files to an external USB hard drive.
Also Read: How To Generate Battery Report In Windows 11
To create a backup manually, connect a drive with sufficient storage and follow the steps below:
- Go to Start, then search “This PC” for and and then “Click it”.
2. Once “This PC” is opened. In the address bar, type the code “%HOMEPATH%” and press Enter.
3. From the Home tab, click the Select All button & Select all folders.
4. Go to “Copy” and Choose Location from the drop-down menu.
5. Choose the “external USB drive” you’ve just inserted.
6. Finally, press the Copy option to save all of these files to your external hard drive.
Following the completion of the preceding steps, safely eject and remove the USB drive from your laptop or desktop computer.
Step 2: System Requirements
Even if your system already runs Windows 10, that doesn’t mean it can run Windows 11. To ensure security, performance, and stability on a PC, Microsoft has increased the minimum system requirements for installing Windows 11.
You may not be able to install the Official Windows 11 on your device if it does not satisfy these requirements, and you should consider purchasing a new PC.
Are you confused by the term “TPM”?
TPM (trusted platform module) is an international standard for a secure cryptoprocessor, which is a dedicated microcontroller designed to safeguard hardware using inbuilt cryptographic keys.
If your PC has a TPM but it is not yet enabled, follow the link below to enable TPM 2.0 on your PC.
Examine the system requirements for Windows 11.
Running Microsoft’s PC Health Check Tool is the best approach to see if your computer is ready for Windows 11.
If you Don’t find one on your PC then don’t worry we will help you to get one. Follow the below instructions.
- Type this link on your browser https://rebrand.ly/PCHealthCheckApp
- When you get at this site, scroll to the bottom and click “Download PC health check app.”
3. 3. After downloading, double-click the “setup file” for Windows PC health check.
4. You’ll see a window pop up. Select & Tick the box- “I accept the conditions of the licensing agreement” from the drop-down menu.
5. Click on the “install “button.
The installation procedure has now begun.
6. Check the box labelled “Open Windows PC Health Check” and then click the “Finish” button.
If your computer isn’t compatible with Windows 11, you’ll receive an error notice that says “This computer does not currently fulfil Windows 11 requirements.”
Step 3: Test your Windows 10 edition.
Before installing any edition of Windows 11, we must first determine which version of Windows 10 is currently installed on our computer so that Windows will immediately reactivate after the installation.
To confirm the windows 10 edition:
- Open Settings and Click on the Update & Security category.
- On the left-hand side, select the “Activation” option.
Under the Windows section, check the windows edition and confirm the activation.
Step 4: Get Windows 11 installed.
We’ll go over how to download the official Windows 11 ISO file to your computer in this step. You may generally skip this step if you already have the installation ISO file.
Click on the link: http://microsoft.com/en-in/software-download/windows11
When you arrive at this website, you’ll notice that there are three alternatives for installing or making bootable discs for Windows 11.
Assistant for installing Windows 11
Make installation media for Windows 11
Windows 11 disc image is available for download (iso)
Note: Below steps will help you to let you download ISO file which will help you to Easily istall Windows 11 in yur system, if eligible.
We’ll use the second technique to get Windows 11 in this guide.
- Click on the Download now button.
When the download is complete, run the executable file. You don’t need to install it because the program runs without being installed.
- Finally, press the “Accept” button.
- Select “Use the recommended options for this PC” from the drop-down menu. If you only want to install Windows 11 on one computer.
- Alternatively, you can choose your preferred Language and Edition.
Click Next, and choose Select ISO as the file type.
7. Click on the Next button, and select a path on your computer to download Windows 11 ISO image file, such as your desktop folder.
- Make sure you have enough space to download the Windows 11 ISO image file, then click on the Save button.
It will now begin to download the Windows 11 ISO file, which will be around 5.12 GB in size.
Step 5: Obtain Installation Media (Bootable media)
Incase you don’t have ISO file installed in your system, you need to install it first for smooth installation of Windows 11.
To construct a bootable USB flash drive of Windows 11 after downloading the ISO file, you’ll need special software.
It is not enough to simply copy the ISO image file to the USB.
There are various programs that you can use to create a bootable USB flash drive in Windows OS, such as the Windows USB/DVD tool.
In this guide, we’ll use a free windows program called Rufus.
To create Windows 11 bootable media, follow these steps:
- Navigate to the Rufus website using any web browser. Scroll down to the Downloads section and click on Rufus.
- Insert your USB flash drive now if it is not already inserted. Rufus would recognize it right away.
Continue these instructions to create a bootable USB to install Windows 11 with Rufus:
4. Click the Settings button (third button from the left) at the page’s bottom.
5. Select the “Daily option” under the “Check for updates” drop-down menu under the “Settings” section.
6. Click the Close button “2 times”.
7. Reopen Rufus.
8. Under the “Boot selection” section, use the drop-down menu to select the Disk or ISO image option.
9. Click the down-arrow button (on the right side) and select the Download option.
10. Click the Download button.
11. Select the Windows 11 option.
12. Click the Continue button.
13. Under the “Release” section, select the Windows 11 ISO you want to download. For example, select the 21H2 (Build 22000.194 – 2021.10) option to download the 21H2 ISO file.
16. Click the Continue button.
23. To exit Rufus, click the close button.
Step 6: Modify the firmware’s boot order and enable TPM.
Every computer has a way to access the BIOS setup. This interface allows you to configure your computer’s basic settings.
To enter the bios setup, you must use a keyboard; the mouse cursor does not work in bios.
Computers manufactured in the last few years allow you to enter the bios setup during the boot process by pressing one of the five keys listed below.
If pressing F2 launches a diagnostics tool, your setup key is most likely F10.
The boot menu is also accessed via F10. If pressing F10 brings up a boot menu, your setup key is most likely F2.
If you’re not sure what key to press, try pressing and holding one or more keys on the keyboard as the computer boots.
Step number 7: Clean Install Windows 11
Warning: This is a gentle reminder that this operation will erase your system clean. It’s usually a good idea to back up your computer before starting the process.
Start the PC with Windows 11 USB flash drive.
- On prompt, press any key to boot from the USB.
2. If your language, time, and currency format, and keyboard are showing differently from the default selections, make sure to select the correct settings before proceeding.
3. Click on the Install Now button.
Enter the product key if you have one or want to change the Windows 11 edition.
If you don’t have a product key, select “I don’t have a product key” to proceed.
Choose a Windows 11 edition (if applicable). Then press the “Next button.”
Please keep in mind that the edition of Windows 11 you install must match the edition of Windows 10 you previously installed, or your Windows 11 activation key will not work.
Check the box, “I accept the license terms and conditions”.
Click on the next button to continue.
Select the Custom: Install Windows only (advanced) option, to continue with a clean installation of Windows 11.
The windows 11 setup will create the required partitions automatically during the process. Also, it is not necessary to delete the partitions on secondary drives.
Click on the Next button, to start the installation of the official Windows 11.
Now, Windows 11 installation process has been started.
Following the installation, you will be presented with a new interface known as Windows 11 out-of-box experience.