Staying connected is presently more important than ever. Whether you’re working remotely, streaming content, or merely browsing the web, having a steadfast internet connection is crucial. Nonetheless, there may be times when accessing Wi-Fi or a stable Ethernet connection is not attainable. That’s where tethering comes in. Tethering authorizes you to connect your mobile internet to your PC, providing a lifeline of connectivity when other options are unavailable.
In this post, we will probe into the diverse methods and steps employed in connecting your mobile internet to your PC via tethering. Whether you’re utilizing an Android or iOS device, we’ll stroll you through the procedure, assuring you stay connected no matter where you are.
What do you mean by Tethering?
Tethering a phone means the process of establishing a connection between the phone and another device, such as a laptop or perhaps a tab. This connection authorizes the secondary device to utilize the phone’s internet connection and gain access to the online world. Typically, this seamless connection is established effortlessly through the wireless transformation of your phone into a captivating Wi-Fi network, beckoning other Wi-Fi-enabled devices to detect and seamlessly get connected.
In most occasions, if a device supports Wi-Fi, you can smoothly tether your phone to it wirelessly by broadcasting a Wi-Fi network straight from your phone. Nonetheless, it’s worth citing that tethering can furthermore be attained through alternative methods such as a USB connection or utilizing Bluetooth, relying on the device and its capabilities. These prospects deliver additional flexibility for establishing a steadfast internet connection between your phone and the preferred device.
Moreover, with tethering, you are not confined to utilizing your phone as a mere modem for a solitary device. Instead, you have the power to generously distribute your phone’s internet connection among multiple devices simultaneously. In fact, a smartphone possesses the potential to serve as a comprehensive substitute for a dedicated mobile broadband device, seamlessly bridging the gap between your digital needs and the vast online realm. In dire circumstances, it can even transiently assume the role of a substitute for home broadband, albeit at the cost of consuming both your data allowance and battery life at a rapid pace.
Methods To Connect Mobile Internet to Your PC via Tethering
#1. Connect Mobile Internet to Your PC via Tethering Using Bluetooth
The process is quite straightforward as long as both devices support Bluetooth connectivity, you can give it a try. This wireless and cable-free method presents a clean and efficient connection. Adhere to these steps to pair the two devices and share the internet connection effortlessly:
Step #1. Pairing the Devices
- First, you need to open the Bluetooth settings on your PC by typing Bluetooth on the Search bar located in the taskbar and hit enter or you can just click on the quick settings located in the bottom right corner and click on the Bluetooth icon to turn it on. Further, you have to assure that your PC is in discoverable mode and can be discovered by other devices.
- On your Android phone, navigate to the Bluetooth settings and locate the name of your PC.
- Simply tap on your PC’s name to initiate the pairing process. You will be prompted to confirm a code, which will be displayed on your PC. Once the devices are successfully paired by giving all the necessary permissions, you can proceed to the next step.
Step #2. Enabling Bluetooth Tethering on Your Phone
- Now you need to turn on Bluetooth and mobile data both on your phone. You can do it by opening the Settings app on your phone, and you should find the Bluetooth tethering option within Hotspot & Tethering or Connection settings. You can also take the help of the search function within the settings to locate it.
- After that, toggle the Bluetooth tethering option in your phone’s settings.
Step #3. Connecting to the Bluetooth Tethering on Your PC
- Now you need to go to your Bluetooth & Device section in Settings and there you will see all the devices connected via Bluetooth. On your preferred devices box notice the top right corner where you will see three dots, click on them, and select Join a personal area network.
- You will then see a menu popup, simply tap on Access point if not selected and that’s it, you’re good to go.
Also Read- How To Fix Internet Not Working On Android?
#2. Connect Mobile Internet to Your PC via Tethering Using USB Cable
Another method is via USB tethering. You can do this without needing to provide any sort of permissions, all you need is a USB cable. Here is how you do it using a USB cable:
- First, you need to connect your smartphone to your laptop via USB cable then click allow on your mobile if prompted.
- After that, go to your mobile Settings, and then go to Connections, locate Mobile Hotspot & Tethering. There, you will see the option for USB Tethering and finally toggle it to turn it on.
- Lastly, just wait for a few minutes for automatic configuration or you can go to Network & Internet > Ethernet in your Windows PC and check that you are connected to ethernet.
#3. Connect Mobile Internet to Your PC via Tethering Using Hotspot
In the circumstance that your PC is Wi-Fi capable and you find yourself without an available cable, worry not! You can utilize the power of a portable hotspot to smoothly tether your phone device to your PC via Wi-Fi. This technique not solely authorizes you to establish a connection between the two devices but furthermore enables you to share your data connection with other mobile phones.
Here’s what you need to do to connect mobile internet to your PC via tethering using a hotspot:
- First, you need to turn on your Mobile Data by swiping down your phone screen and tap the mobile data icon once to open it. After that, you need to turn on Mobile Hotspot which you can also access through the quick access panel on your phone but if you cannot find it there, you can open your Phone Settings, then head to Connections and locate Mobile Hotspot & Tethering. There you will see the option for Mobile Hotspot, simply toggle the option to turn it on.
- Now that you your mobile data and mobile hotspot are turned on, you can find your device’s name in the Wifi connection list on your PC.
- Simply, click on your Phones title, and enter the password like you normally do with every wifi.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the difference between hotspot and tethering?
Tethering and hotspots both serve the purpose of keeping you connected while you’re on the move. Nevertheless, there are slight distinctions between the two. Tethering involves transforming your phone into a mobile WiFi hotspot. This implies that your phone acts as a gateway, authorizing other devices to access the internet by employing your phone’s data connection. On the other hand, a hotspot is a designated wireless access point that equips internet connectivity to devices in its coverage. Hotspots can furthermore be standalone devices or built into smartphones.
Is USB tethering faster than hotspot?
When it comes to tethering through a smartphone using a data plan, the factors influencing tethering performance can vary. In this scenario, the primary factor that can limit performance is the speed of your cellular data provided by your mobile network. In the absence of a progressive 5G data plan, the performance of your tethering connection will mainly lean upon the capacities of your cellular network, generally centered around the widely adopted 4G technology.
It’s important to note that certain devices, including all iPhones and select Android devices, may enforce restrictions on the available bandwidth for tethered devices. These limitations are often implemented to preserve battery life or due to hardware and driver constraints. Consequently, in such cases, tethering via USB might outperform a WiFi connection in terms of performance.