macOS Monterey, Apple’s latest macOS version, is finally revealed. Designed to enhance connectivity, sharing, and creativity, it boasts an improved FaceTime, Messages, Safari, Notes, Notifications, Continuity, and oh so much more! If you want to get a hands-on experience and explore the new features, here’s how you can download the macOS Monterey developer beta on your Mac. You can try out the macOS Monterey beta right now. As the developers’ beta version is now available. In this article, we are going to discuss how you can download and install macOS 12.4 Monterey developer beta.
Also Read: Top macOS Monterey 12.3 features
- List of compatible devices
- Backup data
1. List of Macs compatible with macOS Monterey beta
- iMac late 2015 and newer
- iMac Pro 2017 and newer
- MacBook Air early 2015 and newer
- MacBook Pro early 2015 and newer
- Mac Pro late 2013 and newer
- Mac mini late 2014 and newer
- MacBook early 2016 and newer
Also Read: macOS Monterey: Tips & Tricks
Note: Ensure to back up your Mac before installing macOS Monterey.
2. Backup Your Data
Before you begin, make sure you back up your Mac. The download and installation process is fairly easy, but any time you make significant changes to your computer, you risk problems. When it comes to securing your data, it is definitely better to be safe than sorry. Even if you just backed everything up the night before, make sure your Mac is completely up-to-date.
- Connect an external hard disk or Time Capsule with a USB, FireWire, or Thunderbolt cable.
- Click on the Apple icon in the upper left corner of your screen.
- Select System Preferences from the dropdown menu.
- Select Time Machine in the System Preferences window.
- Turn the Time Machine slider On.
- Click Select Backup Disk and choose the disk you’d like to use.
And that’s all, Time Machine will start the backup process in 1-2 minutes.
3. Download macOS 12.4 Monterey developer beta
- Visit developer.apple.com and open the Discover tab.
- Select macOS and click Download.
- Log in with your developer account credentials if prompted.
- To download the latest macOS Monterey developer beta, click on Install Profile.
- Open the Downloads.
- Double-click macOSDeveloperBetaAccessUtility.dmg to open it.
- Next, double click macOSDeveloperBetaAccessUtility.pkg to run the installer.
- In the prompt window, click Continue, agree to terms and conditions, and then click Install.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to install the macOS developer beta.
- Now, you should see the Software Update screen. If not, click the Apple logo → System Preferences > Software Update.
Here you will see the macOS Monterey developer beta option; click Upgrade Now. Depending upon your internet speed, the download may take a while.
Note: If you don’t see an update window, restart your computer and revisit the Software update section.
Note: Installing can be done in two ways, Simple and in Partition.
4. (A) Installing
After the macOS Monterey developer beta is downloaded, a prompt window will ask you to start the installation process.
- Click Continue.
- Select Agree to Apple’s Terms and Conditions.
- Click Install (you may need to clear some space for installation).
Now, follow the on-screen instructions to install macOS Monterey.
The installation process might take a considerable amount of time, so be patient.
4. (B) Installing in Partition
It’s wiser to install the beta on your secondary device or to create a partition in Mac’s storage to keep your data safe.
- After the download is complete, click Continue from the installation window.
- Click Agree and confirm.
- Now, click Show All Disks and select the partition.
- Click Install to start the process.
Here, you can either choose a clean installation and start from scratch or transfer current OS information with the help of the installation helper.
5. Starting Beta version
Once your Mac reboots, you’ll be set up with macOS Monterey. You’ll have to follow a couple of steps to get started.
- Click on Continue.
- Sign in with your Apple ID and password. iCloud will sync your desktop and other files.
- Click on Get Started.
- You’ll be directed to your Home screen where you can start digging around to find all of the fun new features.
6. Can also use if not a developer
Well, there are third-party websites like betaprofiles.com that offer the developer’s profile for free. You can simply download the profile and install it via the steps mentioned earlier.
However, this option can be risky for both your data and your device. So, I suggest that you either join Apple’s developer program or skip the developer beta and opt for the public beta, which releases after a few days.
In this article, we discussed macOS Monterey 12.4 Beta version. We also discussed how to install it. We hope you liked the article.