In the mystical realm of Elden Ring, your weapons may sometimes fail to pack a powerful punch. But fear not, adventurer, for salvation lies in obtaining those elusive smithing stones. However, heed this warning: the game’s tutorial is not exactly a beacon of guidance, so be sure not to overlook these precious stones and their upgrades.
As you pursue the smithing menu, provided by Master Smith or Smithing Table, you’ll be enlightened as to which particular smithing stone will take your weapon to the next level. And the benefits of using these stones are aplenty, as your Ashes of War will only grow more potent alongside your newly enhanced weaponry.
If you aspire to delve into the realm of smithing stone mastery, glance no further. Read on and uncover the crucial pieces that will empower you to unleash the greatest potential of your weapons and ignite the flames of triumph with your Ashes of War.
Also Read- 8 Best Elden Ring Mods You Should Know About
What is Elden Ring about and Why do you need Smithing Stones
About Elden Ring Game
Elden Ring is a sprawling Action-RPG game set in a fictional realm, crafted by FromSoftware. The game is under the direction of Hidetaka Miyazaki, with prominent Game of Thrones author George R.R. Martin collaborating as a producer. On February 25, it was made available for the PlayStation 4 and 5, Windows, Xbox One, and Series X/S. As they go around fixing the main Elden Ring and assuming control of the Elden Lord, gamers in the game control a player avatar that they can personalize.
Elden Ring is a game that walks a tightrope of contradictions. Therefore, offering players an immense world to explore while at the same time punishing them for deviating from the critical path. The game provides subtle hints to guide the player. But following them blindly may prove too arduous if the surrounding areas have not been thoroughly explored. Elden Ring aims to be more accessible than previous FromSoftware games. But also throws up massive obstacles early on that can be daunting for newcomers.
While the overall experience with Elden Ring tends to be positive, there can be occasional moments of intense frustration. The mounted combat mechanics could feel fickle, and the rewards for triumph can appear meager. And certain sections might feel like a “perfection-or-death” scenario that can quickly become repetitive.
Nonetheless, these challenges will feel worthwhile when balanced against the game’s polished combat mechanics, and intricate character-building system. Also, a sense that the world was bursting with secrets remaining to be uncovered.
Also Read- 5 Relaxing Games To Play After Elden Ring
What are Elden Ring Smithing Stones?
In Elden Ring, Smithing Stone is an essential Upgrade Material that reinforces equipment, providing an instant boost to their stats. These upgrade materials can be acquired through exploration and looting from specific locations, dropped by certain enemies or bosses, given as rewards by NPCs encountered on the journey, or even purchased from merchants. Besides, upgrading your weapons is more consequential than leveling up in the early stages. As it extensively enhances your chances of conquering challenging bosses throughout the Lands Between.
Whether you’re wielding a blade, staff, shield, or spear, Smithing Stones are the key to leveling up your weapons. You have to provide these gemstones, some runes, to Master Blacksmith Hewg at Roundtable Hold in order to enhance your armaments. Smithing Stones can be acquired by exploring the world and defeating certain enemies.
This guide will provide a comprehensive overview of Smithing Stones and Somber Smithing Stones and also How To Track down Every Bell Bearing. Additionally, we will instruct on the procurement of Smithing Stones. As well as offer advice on optimal farming locations, ensuring that you always have a plentiful stockpile in your inventory.
Also Read- [Guide] Elden Ring Tips And Tricks For Beginners
What are the Types Of Smithing Stones
It’s important to distinguish between two types of smithing stones: regular smithing stones and somber smithing stones, each with a unique rank.
1. Regular Smithing Stones
In Elden Ring, Smithing Stones are items that are utilized to upgrade weapons. Regular Smithing Stones come in eight tiers, with each tier authorizing a certain range of upgrades. For example, Tier 1 Smithing Stones can upgrade a weapon from +0 to +3, while Tier 8 Smithing Stones can upgrade a weapon from +21 to +24.
Most weapons in Elden Ring have a cap of +25, which can solely be achieved by using an Ancient Dragon Smithing Stone. These stones are rare and hard to come by, so players will need to carefully consider which weapons they want to upgrade to their maximum potential.
To enhance their weapons beyond a few levels, players must seek the assistance of a blacksmith in Elden Ring. Although the anvil at the Church of Elleh can be used to make minor upgrades, further improvements require the services of a blacksmith. You are going to find 2 Blacksmiths in the game
- Smithing Master Hewg – situated in the Roundtable Hold
- Smithing Master Iji – located south of Caria Manor near the Kingsrealm Ruins.
It’s worth noting that Iji relocates to the Three Sisters region once Ranni’s questline commences, though players can nevertheless upgrade their weapons with him.
2. Somber Smithing Stones
Somber Smithing Stones are necessary to enhance exclusive weapons and legendary armaments, and they retain their own set of tiers and upgrading range.
To determine the specific type of smithing stone required to upgrade your weapon, consult a Smithing Table or a Master Smith. By hovering over the desired weapon, the screen will display the kind of smithing stone crucial, along with the required quantity and the number already in possession.
Also Read- [FIXED] Elden Ring Multiplayer Not Working
Where to find the Bell Bearings for smithing stones in Elden Ring?
To acquire smithing stones in Elden Ring, players have the option of obtaining them by defeating enemies or by discovering them in the game’s world. However, instead of relying on chance encounters, it advised to actively search for specific items known as bell bearings. Collecting bell bearings remains the easiest way to obtain access to smithing stones, and there stand a total of nine of them scattered throughout the game.
There are two locations where players can purchase smithing stones: from Smithing Master Iji, and the Twin Maiden Husks at Roundtable Hold. Further, we will explain you can purchase each Smithing stone
After discovering a Bell Bearing at a certain location, players can present it to the Twin-Maiden Husks at Roundtable Hold. This will then authorize them to buy the corresponding Smithing Stones directly from the Husks.
Keep in mind that purchasing Smithing Stones from the Twin-Maiden Husks won’t be an instantaneous procedure. First, you’ll require to obtain all four variants of Smithing Miner’s Bell Bearings, as well as the five Somberstone Miner’s Bell Bearings. Furthermore, only after accumulating all nine of these Bell Bearings will you attain access to all the Smithing Stones critical to upgrade any weapon up to level nine. It’s significant to commence by gathering the regular Smithing Miner’s Bell Bearings.
Buy smithing stones (Regular) in Elden Ring
Smithing Miner’s Bell Bearing (1)
Here are the steps to unlock the ability to buy smithing stone 1 and smithing stone 2 in Elden Ring:
- Go to the Site of Grace called Academy Gate Town in the marshland area around Liurnia of the Lakes.
- From there, proceed north and follow the cliffs until you reach the Raya Lucaria Crystal Tunnel.
- Make your way to the bottom of the tunnel and defeat the boss there to obtain the Smithing-Stone Miner’s Bell Bearing.
- Return to Roundtable Hold and speak to the Twin Maiden Husks in one of the side rooms.
- Select the ‘give bell bearing’ option from their menu and give them the Smithing-Stone Miner’s Bell Bearing you obtained.
- Once you’ve given them the Smithing-Stone Miner’s Bell Bearing, you’ll gain access to purchase smithing stone 1 and smithing stone 2 from their inventory whenever you’re in the vicinity.
Smithing Miner’s Bell Bearing (2)
Follow the steps to unlock the ability to buy smithing stone 1 and smithing stone 2 in Elden Ring
- Head to the Sealed Tunnel, located on the map between Liurnia and Altus Plateau.
- Look for the Site of Grace next to the Sealed Tunnel. After that, find the secret path just next to the Site of Grace by whacking the wall and walking through some debris.
- Keep following the path until you find the Smithing-Stone Miner’s Bell Bearing 2.
- Take the Bell Bearing back to Roundtable Hold and give it to the Twin Maiden Husks.
- Once you give them the item, smithing stone 3 and smithing stone 4 will permanently add to their inventory, which you can buy anytime you can afford them.
Smithing Miner’s Bell Bearing (3) & (4)
Follow the steps to unlock the ability to buy Smithing Stones 5,6,7,8 in Elden Ring
- To find Smithing Miner’s Bell Bearing 3, you need to make it to the Mountaintops of the Giants.
- Getting there involves some story sequences. Once you arrive, you’ll find the Zamor Ruins where there’s a staircase that will take you to an underground area.
- There is a chest within that contains Smithing Miner’s Bell Bearing 3 if you walk down the staircase and unlock the entrance.
- This bearing will allow you to buy Smithing Stones 5 and 6 from the Twin Maiden Husks.
- If you want to obtain Smithing Miner’s Bell Bearing 4, a crucial item required to progress through the main storyline, you must emerge victorious against the formidable Godskin Duo, a duo boss battle.
- After completing the Mountaintops of the Giants, you will gain access to the Crumbling Farum Azula, where you will engage in an intense battle against the Godskin Duo.
- After defeating them, you’ll obtain Smithing Miner’s Bell Bearing 4, which allows you to buy Smithing Stone 7 and 8 from the Twin Maiden Husks.
Also Read- 5 Elden Ring Alternatives For Nintendo Switch
buy somber smithing stones in Elden Ring
Somberstone Miner’s Bell Bearing (1)
Unlock the ability to buy Somber Smithing Stones is to obtain the Somberstone Miner’s Bell Bearing 1. To get this Bell Bearing, you’ll need to:
- Begin by making your way to the Sellia Crystal Tunnel in Caelid, which exhibits on the map.
- Once you reach the end of the dungeon, you’ll encounter the Fallingstar Beast. Defeat the beast to claim the Somberstone Miner’s Bell Bearing 1.
- With this Bell Bearing in your possession, you can now buy Somber Smithing Stones 1 and 2 from the Twin Maiden Husks.
Somberstone Miner’s Bell Bearing (2)
Here are the steps to obtain Somberstone Miner’s Bell Bearing (2) and unlock the ability to buy Somber Smithing Stone (3) and (4):
- Start by traveling to the Minor Erdtee near the Forest-Spanning Greatbridge Site of Grace.
- After that, you need to travel south to find the entrance to the Atlus Tunnel.
- Navigate through the brief dungeon and defeat the two Crystalian creatures in the tandem boss battle at the end.
- Claim Somberstone Miner’s Bell Bearing 2 as your reward.
- The Twin Maiden Husks in Roundtable Hold are the recipients to whom you must hand over the Bell Bearing.
- They’ll add Somber Smithing Stones 3 and 4 to their inventory, which you can buy at any time.
Somberstone Miner’s Bell Bearing (3)
If you wish to obtain the Somber Smithing Stone (5) and (6), you will be required to offer the Twin Maiden Husks the Smithing Miner’s Bell Bearing (3) as an offering. To find the bell bearing, you will need to:
- Begin by traveling to the western part of the Mountaintops of the Giants and locate the First Church of Marika.
- As you traverse through the Mountaintops, you’ll come across a big frozen lake with a freezing dragon, which signals that you’re close to the church.
- After that, at the southern tip of the frozen lake, you’ll find the First Church of Marika.
- Outside the church, there’s a corpse that you can loot for the Smithing Miner’s Bell Bearing 3. This will enable you to buy Somber Smithing Stones 5 and 6.
Somberstone Miner’s Bell Bearing (4)
Here are the steps to get Somberstone Miner’s Bell Bearing (4):
- Progress to the Crumbling Farum Azula area after the Mountaintops of the Giants.
- After that, you need to seek the Tempest Facing Balcony Site of Grace.
- Move forward from the Site of Grace until you see a corpse holding an item.
- Loot the corpse to obtain Somberstone Miner’s Bell Bearing 4.
- After that, offer the Bell Bearing to the Twin Maiden Husks to purchase Somber Smithing Stones 7 and 8.
Somberstone Miner’s Bell Bearing (5)
To discover Somberstone Miner’s Bell Bearing 5, you need to
- Like the previous one, you need to progress to Crumbling Farum Azula then in this area, you’ll find the Dragon Temple Rooftop Site of Grace.
- As you navigate through this area, you’ll attack by birds with swords for feet and a distant dragon that shoots red lightning.
- When you face off with the dragon, run to the right to reach an area with wolfish creatures.
- Kill them or run by and cross a fallen temple that acts as a bridge between two cliffs.
- Once you reach the other side, you’ll see a little chapel where you’ll ambush by enemies on either side of a hallway.
- Defeat them and loot the corpse by the coffin to find Somberstone Miner’s Bell Bearing 5.
Also Read- [Fixed] Elden Ring Stuttering Issues On PC
What are the farming locations for Smithing Stones in Elden Ring?
Regular Smithing Stone Farming Location
Smithing Stones can obtain from mining caves scattered throughout the Lands Between. Although the Smithing Stones found on cave walls do not respawn. The ones dropped by the enemies inside can farm indefinitely. Thus making it possible to collect an unlimited amount of Smithing Stones in Elden Ring.
Additionally, Smithing Stones 5 and above are scarce drops, increasing your Arcane stat. Or utilizing the Silver-Pickled Fowl Foot item can enhance your chances of obtaining them. To acquire Smithing Stones 6 and higher, you must venture to the Consecrated Snowfield and farm them.
Firstly, you can find regular Smithing Stones in various mining caves across the Lands Between. We have provided you with a list of farming locations for Smithing Stones in Elden Ring
- Smithing Stones 1 & 2 can be obtained by defeating Miners situated along the Northern edge of Agheel Lake within the Limgrave Tunnels, as they have a chance to drop these valuable items.
- Smithing Stones 3 & 4 are dropped by Soldiers and Miners who traverse the Gael Tunnel, linking Limgrave and Caelid.
- To acquire Smithing Stone 5, you must venture into the Subterranean Shunning Grounds that lie beneath Leyndell, the Royal Capital, and defeat the Imps that inhabit this area.
- Smithing Stones 6 & 8 are dropped by Miners in the Consecrated Snowfield’s Yelough Anix Tunnel.
- Smithing Stone 7 is dropped by Haligtree Soldiers stationed at Elphael, which is part of the Brace of the Haligtree.
Also Read- Elden Ring Not Launching On Your PC? Try These Fixes
Somber Smithing Stone Farming Location
Somberstone variants remain highly sought-after items solely found in the later stages of the game. However, obtaining some of the lower-level Somber Smithing Stones early on can be crucial for your adventure. While they are rare drops, it is possible to farm or retrieve them.
Fortunately, we have identified locations where you can obtain Somber Smithing Stones in Elden Ring:
- For Somber Smithing Stones 1 and 2, you can purchase them from Smithing Master Iji at the Kingsrealm Ruins. It’s worth noting that these stones are readily available for purchase, so it’s not technically considered farming.
- The Glintstone Miners found in Sellia Crystal Tunnel have a low chance of dropping Somber Smithing Stones 3, 4, and 5. It is a mine located northwest of Sellia, Town of Sorcery. Though they drop infrequently, farming these miners can increase your chances of obtaining the stones you need.
In conclusion, gaining all the Bell Bearings and Smithing Stones in Elden Ring can be a challenging job. Though, with suitable knowledge and strategy, it’s attainable. Further, by exploring various ways How To Track down Every Bell Bearing, defeating enemies, and solving puzzles. Players can acquire the necessary items to unlock new weapons and upgrades. Whether you’re a seasoned Soulsborne player or new to the genre, tracking down every Bell Bearing. And Smithing Stone in Elden Ring can be a rewarding experience.